Re: [Debconf-team] Plan to organise a one-day workshop pre-DebConf

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 06:21:18PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Michael Meskes and I organised a workshop in February where we
> discussed with businesses about the role of Debian and OSS in the
> context of cloud services and spying etc.. This was well received
> and we've been planning to repeat the offering just before
> DebConf15. I've mentioned this numerous times in the past, but now
> we've finally made a move.
>
> As this is a workshop geared to employees of local businesses with
> probably lesser experience with Debian and OSS, we decided to
> provide it in German only.
>
> All of the organisation is independent of DebConf15 (i.e. finances
> are separate, we've booked a room with the hostel, etc.), but we're
> obviously hoping to advertise this in the context of DebConf15.

Looking at the page we have no clue that the organization is independent
from DebConf. And I wouldn't be surprised if 100% of people think it is
not, since it will happen during debcamp, in the same venue, and announced
inside our website.

What I think is problematic about this is that our teams have no voice in
how the workshop is structured, and it will be seen as part of our
work, which is not true.

> We also strongly believe that this would be beneficial to
> DebConf15's public reception. Furthermore, even though it's
> a non-profit endeavour, we do expect to have a little surplus that
> we'll gladly donate to DebConf15.
>
> I've put up a webpage on
> http://debconf15.debconf.org/workshop.xhtml, but before we go live
> with this, I wanted to give you a chance to speak up. We can also
> organise this completely independently and put the information on
> a different server, but we think this would be a lost chance.

This is a completely new thing for me (and probably for many other people)
so please do not publish anything before we have enough people engaged in the
discussion.

Tassia.