Re: [Debconf-team] CoC and "suitable for people aged 12 or above"

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org> wrote:

> Neither able (for lack of knowledge of the debconf orga structure) nor
> willing (for lack of time and general overcommittment), sorry.

I am not sure who, if anyone, is actually _responsible_ for this. I
poked off-list for someone I think is a very good candidate.

>    By default, all presentation material should be suitable for people
>    aged 12 and above. If you think that some people may have a problem
>    with your talk, please state it explicitly in the submission notes,
>    so that it can be taken into account while scheduling it, introducing
>    it, and broadcasting it. If you feel unsure, please contact the
>    DebConf Talks Team at <email>.

I would make this a little more balanced as in

By default, all presentation material should be suitable for people
aged 12 and above.

If you could reasonably assume that some people may be offended your
talk, please state so explicitly in the submission notes. This will be
taken into account by the Content Team. In case you are unsure if this
applies to you, please contact the Content Team at <email>. Please
note that you are solely responsible if anything is deemed
inappropriate and you did not contact the Content Team beforehand.

> I explicitly replaced the list of "may not contain" with a blanket
> statement of "some people may have a problem with", similarly to what
> seems to work well in the Diversity Statement. Having a list, in my
> opinion, would just open a can of worms of arguing about whether bits of
> the list are suitable or not[1].

I fully agree. Losing lists of "don't"s and making lists of "do"s is
more positive and prevent guideline surfing.

> [1] I'll be the first to open the can of worms: I get very rapidly angry
>     at the idea that consensual sexual imagery can be unsuitable for any
>     audience of any age, so let's just not go there.

I am certain that there are images which are both consensual and
highly disturbing to many people, especially ones which are still
impressionable. I agree with what I think you meant, though.

> [3] Give me a topic, and I'll find you one person that can be upset by
>     it. Off the top of my head I already have examples for topics such
>     as math, computer programming, and kittens.

ARGH!!! KITTENS!!!111

Richard