Re: [Debconf-team] busaries question about speakers

also sprach Ana Guerrero Lopez <ana@debian.org> [2015-02-07 19:45 +0100]:
> Quick question: should people with accepted talks in the "official" track
> assume they will get sponsored food+room if they ask for it?

Good question. I am not on the bursaries team, but I would like to
offer my opinion. Feel free to do whatever you want with it. ;)

Other conferences usually just waive the conference fee and include
food by means of dinners etc.. Since we don't really have a fee, and
since our costs are low, I think we can offer room&board for the
entire conference (a 300€ value for DC15).

Another reason that speaks for their sponsoring: mid-term, knowing
that getting a talk accepted means getting a wild-card for
sponsorship applications, this should help increase the incentive
for people to try hard(er) to get a talk accepted. In combination
with rigorous selection-based-on-quality and limited slots, this
should help increase the quality of DebConf in general.

So I am in favour, but I think it shouldn't be automatic, i.e.
people should still be required to request it like everyone else.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org
      DebConf16: Cape Town or Montreal? https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16