Re: [Debconf-team] LWN coverage of DebConf15

On Thu 2015-01-29 11:37:43 -0500, Martín Ferrari wrote:
> By initiative of Paul Wise, recently there has been some talks about
> inviting a LWN journalist to cover DebConf15, by offering travel and
> board sponsoring.
>
> LWN is one of the most respected news outlets in the Linux world, they
> have a strong emphasis on free software, and they are known for the
> quality and technical depth of their articles.
>
> They have not covered DebConf since 2005, and it seems like a good idea
> to work to have them covering us again. It is a good way to increase
> exposure and to make the sponsors more happy about giving us money.
>
> The LWN people have already said that they would like to cover the
> conference, and that they have had that pending for a while. They also
> said that helping cover some of the costs would make it more feasible.

(i am not on, and have no plans to be on the bursaries team -- this is
my own opinion)

If an LWN reporter applied for travel/accomodation sponsorship and
explained that what they planned to do at DebConf was to cover it for
LWN, I would hope that the bursaries team would see that as valuable and
try to fund it.

I consider LWN a part of our extended community, and one of the main
goals of financial sponsorship as i see it is to engage the extended
community.  We're (finally!) getting better at acknowledging all the
non-packaging work that goes into making Debian a good OS in the real
world, for real user and real upstream developers.  LWN is part of that.
We should encourage the folks at LWN to apply for sponsorship just like
everyone else.

        --dkg