Re: [Debconf-team] budget approval process

On 16/10/14 at 12:06 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Lucas Nussbaum <leader@debian.org> [2014-10-16 11:24 +0200]:
> > > What's the difference between what you suggest and Debian just
> > > committing (up to) y from the start, given that any surplus comes
> > > back to Debian anyway and we won't use money from Debian to fund
> > > expenses beyond the worst-case-budget?
> >
> > There is none, except that y = ~100k€ (in a worst case budget without
> > any additional sponsors, and no professional/corporate attendees, which
> > I agree is unlikely, but that's the point of a worst case budget).
> > That is an amount of money that I don't think a DPL should prepare to
> > spend without an understanding of how it would be going to be spent.
>
> And what is the amount "x" that you think Debian could allocate to
> DebConf without the DPL having an understanding of how exactly it
> will be spent?

You are trying to frame me as willing to meddle into details of the
DebConf'15 budget. I wrote "without an understanding of how it would be
going to be spent". You are asking about "without the DPL having an
understanding of how *exactly* it will be spent". I am annoyed by
that.

I don't care about how exactly you plan to spend the DebConf15 budget.
There are lots of things I don't need to know details about.
But do you really think that the DPL should allocate 100k€ to DebConf
organization without a vague idea of how it will be spent?
We currently are in a situation where we don't have to make hard choices
about money. But it could be the case that allocating 100k€ to DebConf
organization would prevent buying a new server for our infrastructure.
How do you suggest the DPL arbitrates between those expenses, then?

To answer your specific question (minus "exactly"), ideally, x = 0€.
However, when on September 20th you asked for some Debian money to cover
the initial costs, and said 5000€ would be comfortable, I authorized
such a transfer immediately without asking for any details. So the
answer is probably that 5000€ <= x < y ;)

Anyway, I don't think that there's much to gain from continuing that
discussion, so this is the last email from me in this thread.

Looking forward to a budget to review,

Lucas