Re: [Debconf-team] Checking people's feelings on Paypal (as an option) for Debian donations.

also sprach Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> [2014-10-10 15:12 +0200]:
> In addition, Paypal's current fees of 2.9% + $0.30 are competitive
> to other online donation options we have available. These go even
> lower once we have access to an SPI Paypal account (2.2% + $0.30).
> (Non-profit discount).

I would not call these fees competitive, but there is no doubt that
Paypal provides some useful management features. So yes, using it
while it's a reasonable option makes sense, but IMHO, we should not
just settle for it and look no further. Paypal already is massive
and I'd much rather see us pick a smaller, innovative competitor.

In particular, I think we should not foreclose the possibility to
accept crypto-currencies, e.g. Bitcoin. Paypal itself is in the
process of embracing Bitcoin (as it enables them to pay less money
to its partner banks etc.) and there is no reason why we should give
them such a large percentage of turnover.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org
      DebConf16 in your country? https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16