Re: [Debconf-team] Estimating budget assumptions for DC15

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:

> the utility of the DC15 budget will depend largely on the
> assumptions we make, mainly how many people we expect to be staying
> at the youth hostel on each day.
>
> This is guesswork, but we should try our best, for our own benefit.
>
> There is a great technique out there called "Delphi method", and
> I think it is very suitable to the task. Basically, it's the "Wisdom
> of Crowds" theory applied: we are altogether going to make more
> accurate assumptions than a few of us could.

The main issue I have with this is that you are already including
decisions that have not been taken, like exactly what format DebCamp
will have: do we want to encourage people to be there starting on
Saturday? Or would we rather organize very-focused sprints, that start
on Tuesday or Wednesday?  I have opinions on this, but sharing them on
this poll does not seem to be the best way to do it (and it's also
unrelated to budget, but rather, what do we want DebConf to look
like).

Also the amount of sponsored people each-night is very closely tied to
the amount of people we are willing to sponsor which should not be
"guess work" but rather a set number that we (the whole team, not DC15
nor budget team) decide upon.  We may decide on 100, 120, 150, etc.
Then the guess work should be, how many of these are going to be there
each night, sure, but the first part is taking the decision, not the
guess work.

--
Besos,
Marga