Re: [Debconf-team] Volunteer to design DC14 thank you ad?

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Valessio,
>

>> See: http://debconf14.debconf.org/become-sponsor.xhtml
>>
>> Silver (1x and 1 color), Gold (2x) and Platinum (4x).   In attachment
>> the map align.
>
> Makes sense!
>

>> I suggest simplifying the color of Silver sponsors to avoid visual confusion.
>
> Not so sure about that... With my FOSDEM hat on, I have seen sponsors
> react very badly when they perceive to be "cheated" out of what they
> paid for...
>

>> Accept suggestions for photos or composition of the thank you message.

Thanks for working on this!! Overall feedback, is that the ad is
attractive, but I really do think it needs to fulfil the purpose of
"thanking the sponsors".

I think the visual separation using color vs B&W is *probably* fine,
if that's the best way to make it clear.

Perhaps a variant of the text from DC13 ad? [1] I looked for older
ones but couldn't find them. (I'm sure they are in git, but call me
lazy, as I never really migrated after repo splits.)

I'm also wondering if we need to somehow acknowledge the media
sponsors themselves in the ad? Anyone know what has has been done
historically?

> As to photo: I have none; did you look through the debconf annex?
> Else, Flickr etc might hold generic "Portland" photos which fit.
> As to message: I don't think we really need one; I like the minimal
> style. It's obvious what we mean, really.

I disagree. Remember this ad is going to appear in a Linux magazine
with no explanation. At first readers will be confused and think we're
advertizing the conference, and then maybe if they look closely see
that the date has already passed, and then they'll probably be
perplexed as to what the purpose of the ad is. We really need to be
clear that we are thanking the sponsors, even if it comes at the cost
of some beauty of the ad.

-Brian

[1] - http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data/dc13/artwork/LinuxMagazineAd/Ad.png?view=co