Re: [Debconf-team] Call for Help: DebConf14 Bursaries Team

Hi

"Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" <faw@funlabs.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 14/05/14 01:53, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> "Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" <faw@funlabs.org> writes:
>
>>> On Friday night or Saturday, I will send the initial instructions
>>> about what we have to do and what is our common rules.
>>
>> Which process do you intend to use? I much prefered the process we used
>> last year to the penta based rating the previous year. I don't know if
>> summit has any facility to help with the process at all.
>
> Nothing really special or much different from previous years.
>
> Summit has a similar rating system, the main difference is that we will
> try to use only one "ranking score" for both travel and food/accommodation,
> instead of two (one for travel and another for food/accommodation).

I don't think we ever did scores for food/accomodation. This has as long
as I've been involved always been a simple yes/no decision to sort out
completely unreasonable requests (people not involved with Debian and/or
Free Software at all that nobody knows).

For travel sponsorship penta had two scores (involvement in Debian and
amount requested IIRC). But these have been a bit confusing, so yes the
general consensus in the past has been that only one dimension of rating
would be better. Is that what you mean?

>> Last year there was also an idea to do condorcet voting on the requests
>> which sounded like a nice idea. The idea is that every member of the
>> team assembles a (partial) ordering of the requests and we run that
>> through condorcet to get the list of sponsored people.
>
> The idea is interesting, but I believe it is too late for us to try
> it.

I don't think it's too late. The idea was IIRC mainly proposed by Steve.
Mabe he can comment a bit more on it.

Gaudenz