Re: [Debconf-team] Request to Adjust Budget for Social Events

Hi Moray,

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 09:13:50AM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> On 2014-05-02 20:19, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >move money from one line item to another within the "social events"
> >budget.

> >Note that, as of today, we have enough committed sponsorship to fund the
> >conference dinner even at the higher price, but do not yet have enough to
> >fully fund both the conference dinner and the daytrip even with the
> >reduced estimate.

> >So as soon as we have approval of this budget change, Patty can move
> >ahead with reserving the conference dinner space.  Moray, can you please
> >review this change and see if you approve?

> If other items in the budget/fundraising don't go to plan, up to
> when could we cancel the dinner without losing the full price (or a
> high portion of it)?

Notwithstanding Patty's comments about deposits and cancellation, what
exactly are you concerned about here wrt budget or fundraising not going
according to plan?  Our committed sponsorship is adequate to cover
everything up to and including the conference dinner; $62k of $116k
committed sponsorship has already been received.  And the budget prudently
includes a $3k allowance for "unforeseen expenses".  Is there something else
you think we should be doing to ensure that we are *not* in the situation of
having to cancel the dinner and lose our deposit?  Have there been problems
in the past of sponsors not following through on their committments?

> But, yes, in itself this adjustment sounds fine to me, merely changing
> figures between items to match up with the reality of what's available.  I
> would only note that actual spending of funds on budget items should be
> done in the order agreed in March.

The timing of when things have to be paid is dependent on other factors,
such as when reservations have to be made for events.  And we're having this
discussion now because the funding *is* available to cover the conference
dinner, and all of the higher-priority budget items.  So I'm not sure what
you mean here.