Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf 15 Legal Entity

* Moray Allan (moray@sermisy.org) [140414 23:20]:
> On 2014-04-13 20:10, Margarita Manterola wrote:

>> There would be no liability for Debian (as the association is a
>> separate entity). Furthermore, we plan to employ external insurance in
>> order to reduce the liability of the organising team, as nobody is
>> able to assume personal liability for the event.

> Again, I can believe this is the best version for Germany, but in many
> places you could just create a limited-liability company rather than
> seek insurance.

Well, if someone damages something (e.g. a car during off-loading
things), here both the person acting and the company are liable (but
for most cases the person has a claim on the company taking the
damage). So normally people wouldn't be mattered by that, except if
the company goes bankrupt. And their private insurance won't pay
because it wasn't private (or at least will try so quite hard). So the
insurance really protects the people acting for Debconf, not the legal
umbrella (and anyways, an e.V. is < 100 Euro to found).

Andi