Re: [Debconf-team] Updated budget for DC14

Le samedi, 29 mars 2014, 20.16:03 Michael Banck a écrit :
> > Patty, if you read the full quote in my email, this is in the
> > context of budget and daytrip vs conference dinner. Nobody said
> > here the daytrip doesn't have any benefit, just that the conference
> > dinner seems to be something more attendes enjoy. With my point
> > being that it should be given more priority that the daytrip in the
> > budget.
>
> Personally, I would rather scrap the conference dinner than the day
> trip (though I am not sure how much they can be compared budget-wise).

I concur. For me, the DayTrip has each time been the best occasion to be
with different persons and encounter new ones across the day and get to
know some of them really well.

As for budget concerns, DC13 opted for a quite complicated setup with 6
different options (including the "unofficial" CERN) of which 5 would
gather together for lunch and all of them together for dinner, all that
with three different transportation mediums [0]. DayTrip can certainly
be made simpler (and therefore cheaper) to reinforce what matters most
for DayTrip (IMHO): time together, without computers.

The secondary intent of DayTrip is to let people discover the host
region/country and without the DC11 and DC12 DayTrips, I wouldn't have
seen anything else from the host countries than the respective
conference venues; I'm very thankful to DebConf for that too.

> I think the BBQ for the Debian Party at DC13 was quite nice, not the
> least cause people could mingle freely. Having sit everybody at a
> table means you can only talk to people next or opposite of you.

Yes. What we named the "Conference Dinner" actually happened on Lake
Neuchâtel in continuity with the DayTrip. The Debian Birthday BBQ was a
different event that was also made public and kinda-replaced [0] the
DebianDay.

Cheers,
OdyX

[0] Walking, coaches and boat.
[1] The Debian Birthday was a new thing and there was no DebianDay
    organized…