[Debconf-team] The great Git migration is impending

Folks,

it seems that the only thing keeping us from migrating to Git is
someone actually doing it. Fortunately, Gaudenz already did all the
heavy lifting, and so I am taking it upon myself to see the
migration through.

Here's what's going to happen:

On Wednesday, 02 April, around 09:00 UTC, the existing Subversion
repositories will be switched read-only. Please try to commit any
changes you may have in your tree before that. If you forget, then
you will have to obtain the diff and apply that to Git later.

Shortly afterwards (let's say at 10:00 UTC), the Git repositories
will go live. From this point on, all changes to the data in the
repositories must be made via Git.

Processes that are still using Subversion will continue to work, but
will run against potentially stale data, as SVN is no longer
updated. Please migrate them to Git as soon as possible. Unless
there are major problems, we'll turn off all access to the
Subversion repositories on 30 April.

I am going to take care of IRC commit notifications, and Ganneff
will switch over debconfX.debconf.org websites.

I have prepared a wiki page to assist everyone in the process:

  https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/GitMigration

If you need help, don't hesitate to ask on the #debconf-team
channel. If you prefer to use the mailing list for your questions,
please put [Git] into the subject line to not distract the orga
teams preparing conferences.

The debconf-team repository was migrated all-in-one. However, the
debconf-data repository no longer exists as such. Instead, there now
exist repositories for each of the conference-subdirectories. This
was mainly done to conserve space.

Finally, just to appease the frightful: if this blows up, then
there's a way to revert the whole migration, even if people have
committed to Git since. See the wiki page. But I don't think it'll
happen.

Hope this answers all your questions. Cross your fingers for
Wednesday!

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>
: :'  :  DebConf orga team