Re: [Debconf-team] German two-bid strategy

Hello again,

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 02:38:57PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@debian.org> [2014-03-06 09:36 +0100]:
> > Actually what is being asked is to develop all proposed options by
> > all teams to such a level that a valid and final decision can be
> > made between all proposed venue options.
>
> You cannot make a valid and final decision at this point anyway,
> since there are no contracts in place yet. You can only decide for
> which of the bid teams you'd like to pursue the organisation of
> DebConf.
>
> > >   B) The team develops Munich further to the point where it trumps
> > >      Heidelberg, and then choses Munich, because it is the best
> > >      proposal;
> > >      → everyone happy (and DebConf gets even better)!
> >
> > This takes the final venue decision from Debconf team to local
> > team, which has so far happened only in exceptional cases.
>
> The local teams are the ones that know the venues, so they *should*
> make this decision, obviously with guidance from and in cooperation
> with the committee.
>
> > >   C) Heidelberg's venue burns down, so the team falls back to
> > >      using Munich;
> > >      → everyone happy, for a lesser DebConf is better than no DebConf.
> >
> > Actually - no, not everyone is happy, because a different venue
> > outside Germany would have then been a better choice.
>
> If by that time, the other team is still ready to go, then yes, this
> could happen.
>
> I consider it much more likely that post-bid-decision, one team
> disintegrates and the other starts working together more. So if the
> first choice burns down, I think the existing and active team will
> be much better off at finding a solution than an inactive team
> would, especially if the active team has worked with a backup plan
> from the start.
>
> > If the chosen option fails after the decision is made, that is an
> > extraordinary situation that should not influence the decision as
> > such.
>
> Sure, there's no point in considering this unlikely case at this
> time. However, being prepared and having a backup solution *should*
> be considered, and it is in fact part of the LocationChecklist
> (under 10.)…
>
> > There is *more* competition before the venue decision, so
> > negotiations should be made now, not some time later when options
> > have already become more limited.
>
> We may have a differing understanding of what a negotiation entails.
> When I say negotiation, I am talking about a process of discussing
> conditions, formalising an agreement and signing it to form
> a binding contract.
>
> You are talking about preliminary assessments. Those are important,
> and we have done them, as evidenced by the wiki pages. But we feel
> like there's room for improvement in the pricing. However, no venue
> is going to offer a lower price if they sense that they've already
> been chosen.
>
> Just remember: lower prices means more travel sponsorship.

> [...]

Just to clarify a bit, I trust a lot your team, I have no doubts about
your goals and I'm happy that the option I like more seems to be the one
which is most likely to be chosen. I think it'd help a lot if you state
that before the meeting (if it's actually the case).

Best regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz                         GPG  :      4096R/E4B6813D
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago _at_ {acaia.ca, debian.org}            IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org