Re: [Debconf-team] German two-bid strategy

Hi, quoting madduck and Aigars here.

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 10:36:18AM +0200, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> On 5 March 2014 23:58, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
> > also sprach Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org> [2014-03-05 21:59 +0100]:
> >> After giving more attention to the bid's pages and reading
> >> emails/meetings backlogs I'm blocked by my current preference:
> >>
> >> #1 Heidelberg
> >> #2 Mechelen
> >> #3 Munich
> >>
> >> So it's very clear that the 2-options bid strategy makes things
> >> difficult to me.
> >
> > Please don't split Heidelberg and Munich up. They are part of the
> > same bid. And we believe that this should make things easier for
> > you, instead. Here's why:
> >
> > Let's assume for one moment that you chose the German team, which
> > proposed your top preference, Heidelberg. What could possibly happen
> > next?

It's not only about the team. Indeed, the German team looks amazing, but
even this great team may not be able to prepare a great Debconf if the
venue impose some important constraints (e.g a non 24/7 hacklab, which
seems to be the case for Munich).

> >   B) The team develops Munich further to the point where it trumps
> >      Heidelberg, and then choses Munich, because it is the best
> >      proposal;
> >      → everyone happy (and DebConf gets even better)!
>
> This takes the final venue decision from Debconf team to local team,
> which has so far happened only in exceptional cases.
>
> >   C) Heidelberg's venue burns down, so the team falls back to using
> >      Munich;
> >      → everyone happy, for a lesser DebConf is better than no DebConf.

I'm afraid that C) can also happen due to other circunstances. Given
that the team is mostly located in Munich, you may find it more
convenient (no judgement here) and put less effort in Heidelberg option,
for exemple. So in that case you'd have a 'better than no DebConf' just
because you had a 'plan B' which was more confortable for the team. It's
just one example, but we all know how hard is to keep active a local
team, so I consider this example something realistic.

> Actually - no, not everyone is happy, because a different venue
> outside Germany would have then been a better choice.

That's my point, thanks Aigars for your clear words.

Best regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz                         GPG  :      4096R/E4B6813D
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago _at_ {acaia.ca, debian.org}            IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org