Re: [Debconf-team] DC14 C&W venue status

Quoting Bdale Garbee (bdale@gag.com):
> Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com> writes:
>
> > Ugh... sorry folks, I think we're out of options for a free-flowing
> > alcohol environment unless we do something drastic like bus out to the
> > countryside.
>
> The idea of tasting-sized cups pairing suitable wines with various
> cheeses is actually kind of a neat idea.  I don't know how well it would
> work out in practice, of course, particularly since in the past the mix
> of cheeses folks brought and wines was .. well .. pretty random.

It will be very hard to organize, as the final set of material is
indeed well known and inventoried (uh? Is that Frenglish? You probably
get the point anyway!) during last hours, at best during the last day.

And, frankly speaking, I'm not sure we have in DebConf someone expert
enough to be able to tell what should be drunk with an obscure
Austrian cheese when all that you have available is a collection of
various wines from many other countries (some of them deserving the
name of wine, some of them.....a bit less) as well as somehow suspect
alcoholic beverages from many other countries (including, sometimes,
things that look like they're coming from Planet Mars). As Bdale says:
"pretty random", indeed.

It's already quite difficult to get things arranged on tables in a
nice way so, well, organizing things even more can be....even more difficult.

C&W has always been an interesting improvisation and that's indeed
what always made it fun to organize (well, I can tell it became more
and more stressful over years but all the stress then blows away when
we open the "ceremony"...;-)). Such improvisation should be kept as
much as possible as long as it fits the local regulations...

I'm deeply confident the local team in Portland will make it as
successful as it always has been.