[Debconf-team] Q for Cape Town bid: attendees safety outside the venue

Hi,

I was in Cape Town in May 2010 for a conference. I very much enjoyed it,
and I would love to return there.

However, one thing that worries me a bit in the context of DebConf is
the safety of attendees when outside the venue (e.g. walking between the
venue and accomodation). My understanding from back then is that it was
absolutely not recommended to walk alone or in small groups at night.
Some conference attendees had quite frightening (but harmless in the
end, AFAIK) experiences.

I don't know how much the situation improved since then (maybe the world
cup caused an increase of crime rate at the time), but was wondering
what were your thoughts (and maybe plans) about that, especially if the
venue is not an all-in-one one, which could require attendees to walk
outside late at night.

Lucas