Re: [Debconf-team] debconf 15 "opening weekened"

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Ana Guerrero Lopez <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> In the website in important dates, it says that the 15-16 August is the
> "opening weekened (geared to the public") and those appears also as DebConf
> days. It seems like this has been decided already. Before jumping to conclusions,
> could you please explain what does this exactly mean?

This is something that has been mentioned several times in several
different meetings, although it might be that it was not discussed
on-list up to now.

It is inspired on the DebianDay event that has taken place several
times in the past (although not in DC14 nor DC13), but with a twist.

The Open Weekend is part of DebConf, but given geographical proximity
to other cities, we figured that quite a lot more people would choose
to attend on that weekend alone. This includes particularly people
that are not as involved in Debian as the usual Debian contributors,
who will be interested enough to spend the weekend but not the whole
week.

Taking this into account, the idea was to schedule a broader set of
events on that weekend (which also includes Debian's birthday) and
invite the general public to join us. Broader events does not mean
introductory level talks (i.e. the typical DebianDay schedule), but
rather things like the keynotes that we had this year, the DPL report,
talks about cross-project affecting tools, lightning talks,
workshops/tutorials, keysigning, etc.

The goal would be to select the talks that are more suitable to a
broader audience and schedule them during that weekend, whereas more
specific/internal talks (like team BOFs for example) would be
scheduled during the week. This shouldn't influence talk selection at
all, just scheduling.

For the sake of completion, I must say that in parallel with the
official talks, there was some interest in having some introductory
level workshops, but this has not been agreed, and personally I'm not
sure if we actually want it, and if we do which format it should take.

--
Besos,
Marga