Re: [Debconf-team] Checking people's feelings on Paypal (as an option) for Debian donations.

martin f krafft dijo [Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 08:35:38AM +0200]:
> I would not call these fees competitive, but there is no doubt that
> Paypal provides some useful management features. So yes, using it
> while it's a reasonable option makes sense, but IMHO, we should not
> just settle for it and look no further. Paypal already is massive
> and I'd much rather see us pick a smaller, innovative competitor.
>
> In particular, I think we should not foreclose the possibility to
> accept crypto-currencies, e.g. Bitcoin. Paypal itself is in the
> process of embracing Bitcoin (as it enables them to pay less money
> to its partner banks etc.) and there is no reason why we should give
> them such a large percentage of turnover.

Be liberal in what you accept, be conservative in what you send.

In other words: IMO, there's no reason to foreclose accepting Paypal
or crypto-currencies, as long as we don't hold assets in them for the
mid- or long-term.