Re: [Debconf-team] About calling SHC if we arrive past 22.00

(redirecting to debconf-discuss, so other attendees get the benefit of this
information)

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 01:07:40PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Hello.

> I received the mail below, which in turn quotes an earlier email from me.

> It is likely, but not sure, that I will have to call such number.
> Sorry if this is a stupid question: Are there phone booths at the airport?
> (I ask because using my mobile would be quite expensive).

The mail that PSU seems to be sending out to all attendees says:

  2. If you are planning to arrive after 10:00pm, you must let us know in
  advance by responding to this e-mail. We want to make sure we notify staff
  of your arrival.

I believe this should be sufficient, but I will confirm with PSU.

I /hope/ that they will be waiting for you with doors open at the time
you've said you will arrive, and that there's no need to call.  But having
their phone number in case you do need to call them is probably a good
safety precaution.

The only other thing I would say is to make sure your DebConf registration
record accurately reflects the time you expect to arrive /at the university/
- probably allowing two hours if Portland is your port of entry to the US
(i.e., customs and immigration), otherwise 1.5 hours.  But if nothing else,
please make sure that you aren't listing 00:00 as your arrival time, as this
is impossible for us to distinguish from a default!  If you expect to arrive
at midnight, please put in 00:05 instead so we can tell you really mean it.

As for phone booths at the airport, I'm afraid I have no idea.  Phone booths
are scarce in the US now, and they are practically invisible to me because I
haven't had any use for them for more than a decade.

> Anyway: I would be surprised to be the only person arriving after 22.00.
> In past Debconfs we used to have a travel coordination wiki page where
> we could find people in the same flight. Is there anything like that
> this year?

As you already noticed, this is here:

  https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/TravelCoordination/Arrival