Re: [Debconf-team] Budget woes

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 09:57:02PM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 08:33:30PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >  - Water bottles.  Sturdy, reusable aluminum water bottles - branded with
> >    the Debian logo, of course! - would be a nice perk to send people home
> >    with, that would be useful during the conference too.  (And they would
> >    definitely come in handy for people on the day trip.) They are also
> >    something that we could order extra of - I'm *sure* that people would be
> >    interested in buying extras.

> I already replied on IRC yesterday encouraging the idea of ordering
> these to sell to attendees.  Seeing the full numbers, I would be in
> favour of distributing them free to attendees for use during the
> event, as well as selling a "spare" portion of the order.

Yep, that exactly matches the thought from my side, and Patty has ordered in
quantity (400 bottles) that leaves us extras to sell.

Should we plan to include bottles in the sponsor bags, then?  If they have
to be shipped,  that probably adds a fair amount to the weight.

(And I just realized that this means we do have at least some potential
shipping costs to come, wrt the sponsor bags - so we probably shouldn't take
that line out of the budget)

> >  - Beverage service.  We can always let people fill their water bottles at
> >    the drinking fountains, and there are beverages available for purchase
> >    down on the first floor.  If we want to provide anything more than that
> >    to our attendees, it has to be contracted with the authorized caterer
> >    (Aramark).  We have a quote for this below.  It's basically a complete
> >    rip-off for anything beyond water, but those are the rules we have to
> >    play by if we want something like this.  Depending on how they count "per
> >    person" for coffee and tea, this could be as much as $600/day.  So
> >    personally, I think if we do anything here it should only be water; and
> >    if it's only water I'm not sure it adds value over just buying reusable
> >    water bottles for everyone.

> Making sure there are water fountains in the rooms, or clearly
> labelling the nearest drinking water taps, seems more useful, given
> your description of the pricing.

Ok.  The water fountains will be nearby, but not in the rooms themselves.

> But what are the recommended options for people who need frequent
> coffee?  And for those who want to have hot water for mate?

We will be looking into the nearby coffee shops tomorrow to see what options
we might have for a subsidized rate (if nothing else, paying this in bulk
means people don't have to lose time fiddling with payment, they just have
to spend the time walking to the coffee).

As for mate, I don't know.  Maybe someone wants to bring an electric kettle
for the hacklab?  Or someone in the downstairs foodcourt may be able to
provide.

  http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/CSW/PortlandState/Locations/VikingCourt.htm