Re: [Debconf-team] available switches? (was Re: confirmation of room changes; details on talk room capacities)

Hi Eric,

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:15:26PM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 07:57:39AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > > Not a show stopper regarding video,

> > > each room needs 2mb to the Net for the live stream
> > > each room needs 30mb from talk room to NOC file server to keep the raw
> > > files nice and save and available, but a simple usb2 drive can sneaker-net
> > > the data around if needed.

> > Okay, perfect. So we have some flexibility, even if sub-optimal, here.

> Related to this, I was asked to find out how many and what kinds of
> switches are available for videoteam use.

> Also, videoteam will need a file server located in the NOC for storing
> the video files. Videoteam will need 2TB of RAID and a spare disk for
> backups. afaik, there is not currently a machine or drives available for
> this. Is there any chance one can be borrowed or put together locally?

Why RAID?  What RAID level?  Why "backups" on a spare disk?  Please provide
more precise specifications of what's required here.  There doesn't seem to
be any concrete information about the server specs in the wiki - though I do
find in https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/Videoteam/Hardware that at
least at one time, we had multiple 1TB disks available for use.  Where are
these drives now?

I have one spare 2TB disk that I can loan to this cause.  It's not clear to
me if this should be sufficient storage, or if we need to get additional
disks.  If we do need additional, I will probably just buy them and expense
them rather than trying to chase down individual disks from people - disk is
cheap, last-minute scrambling because a disk hasn't arrived as promised in
someone's luggage is expensive.

As for the machine, there have been several options proposed for a box among
the locals, though none has resulted in a concrete piece of hardware yet.
I've followed up on a couple of leads, hopefully we can lock this down by
Tuesday.

> Installation and configuration of such a machine would be handled by
> videoteam. Assembly too, if need be.

Yes, I will happily delegate this to the videoteam.  You can assume you'll
have a chassis and a pile of blank drives upon arrival ;)