Re: [Debconf-team] Code of Conduct

Top posting because I'm restarting the conversation and don't want to get
distracted by declaring the awesomeness that is RichiH's response.

Richard, I'm so happy you responded as below. And, as much as it made me
hem, haw, and reevaluate my mission here (:)), I'm glad enrico expressed his
concerns as well (and madduck).  In fact, these viewpoints are what stayed
my hand in pushing forward (temporarily). However...

I've adjusted the Code of Conduct on the wiki page[0] to include RichiH's
suggestions (because they were most excellent), and I've also added the
following as my thoughts on the matter (as to why I still feel this is a
benefit to our conference).

 I appreciate enrico's concerns, and in extension, madduck's concerns, and I
 would encourage them both to understand that the Code of Conduct is not
 meant to alienate regular, respectful attendees.  It's unfortunate that we
 are in a situation, globally, where a code of conduct must become
 commonplace, but if we wish to promote diversity and promise a safe
 environment, we should feel no shame to make our expectations and the
 consequences of meeting those expectations publicly known.  Which is all
 that anyone is asking.

 I view the situation as two-fold:

  1.  We affirm our commitment to safety in diversity and being welcoming of
      everyone.

  2.  We celebrate those who already hold to this code of conduct WITHOUT
      being told in advance.

 I'm sincerely proud of the Debian community for not having required this
 statement in its history of conferences.  This community has always been
 warm and welcoming to me, which is why I am now a Debian Developer.  If I
 can help others appreciate and feel welcome in Debian with a simple
 statement of how we already behave, I'm happy to do so.

Acknowledging the concerns stated, I've also edited the opening paragraph to
better explain *why* this code of conduct came into being:

DebConf, as part of the greater Debian Community, assumes good faith on all
those who wish to improve Debian. However, other experiences at other
conferences have shown us the need to adopt a Code of Conduct in which we
state our expectations of all attendees and organizers during the Debian
Conference.

I have also added the Debian Project Code of Conduct to the page.

I still welcome feedback, but wish to continue persuing a formal Code of
Conduct for our conferences.

[0] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/CodeofConduct