Re: [Debconf-team] Getting the network running

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 04:23:19PM -0700, Gerald Turner wrote:
> Hi Kees,
>
> I have friend that's offering to loan a bunch of gear left over from a
> warehouse tear-down that his work performed last year.  The equipment
> was originally installed in 2009, so probably no fancy 802.11n/HT.
>
>  * Several Motorola WS5100 controllers.
>  * Couple dozen (or more) AP-300 access points.
>  * Bunch of Cisco Catalyst 2960s and some 3560s (non-GigE) but they all
>    have at least two 1gbps ports.
>
> The gear is in Tualatin, perhaps I could go pick up a controller and an
> AP and bring it to Lucky Labs next Tuesday so we can observe whether
> it's too enterprisey.

It looks like there's not *wrt available for these, but if they all work
well with their stock firmware, we should be fine. I've put an initial plan
for what hardware we need here:
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/Networking

So far, it's 10 switches, 7 APs, and a server. :) I'm not sure how many
feet of cat6 we'll need for the video team, but it shouldn't be TOO bad --
the rooms are all across the hall from the "data center".

-Kees

--
Kees Cook                                            @debian.org