Re: [Debconf-team] GSoC students / DebConf14

Hi Pablo,

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:23:52PM +0000, Pablo M. Drake wrote:
> El 21/04/14 20:37, Daniel Pocock escribió:

> >GSoC students are now announced by Google again, I'm sure the admins
> >will be providing a more verbose announcement soon:
> >http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2014/debian

> >It would be really useful to understand if there are options similar to
> >last year for GSoC students to attend DebConf.
> >http://debconf14.debconf.org

> >Students who require a visa will need to start applying almost
> >immediately as it takes a long time

> One cuestion.... Works for peoples who lives in Cuba??

In principle, DebConf welcomes Debian contributors, wherever they live.
Because of DebConf's location in the US this year, Debian contributors in
Cuba will have special challenges in getting visa approval.  If you are
interested in applying for a visa, you can contact visa@debconf.org to
request an invitation letter.  But know that an invitation letter is no
guarantee of visa approval.  Evidence of sustained contribution to Debian
prior to applying for a visa would probably be weighed in your favor, but
as others have suggested, you should contact local experts and make your own
judgement about the chance of success before spending a lot of money on a
visa application.