Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf governance (Re: About the DC15 entity and authority (was: DebConf 15 Legal Entity)

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> [2014-04-17 20:09 +0200]:
> I don't think that is or should be the desired state. The two are
> fundamentally different and we should stop pretending that they
> aren't.

Just to clarify, since some people seem to be interpreting more into
this than what I was trying to say:

  1. Debian and DebConf are not separate and should never be.
     DebConf is a sub-project of Debian in that it is run by members
     of the Debian project (and one criteria for local team
     selection is long-standing Debian/DebConf experience).
     Debconf's sole purpose is to benefit Debian (and its members).
     And its sanctioned by Debian to be *the Debian conference*.

  2. While Debian might have a problem with endless discussions,
     bikeshedding, time-criticial decision-making etc., we probably
     all agree that it's a bloody fantastic project, and that we are
     operating at a really high standard.

  3. Logically then, it would be extremely silly, if anyone of us,
     for instance when organising DebConf, wouldn't always try to do
     things the way we do them in Debian.

  4. There are times, when decision-making and formal procedures in
     Debian are suboptimal. This hurts us at times, but we chug
     along — somehow  and with time, our shared goal helps eclipse
     memories of the problems.

  5. DebConf organisation does not have a lot of time available to
     wait for problems to get eclipsed. In fact, DebConf
     organisation is a whole different beast than collaborating on
     an operating system with its bells and whistles.

  6. Therefore, DebConf is not equal to Debian and procedures that
     work in one don't necessarily work in the other.

  7. None of this says that we, during DebConf organisation,
     shouldn't always strive to do things the Debian way, e.g.
     consensus-driven, or that DebConf is separate from Debian.

  8. There are going to be times when decisions have to be made,
     consensus cannot be found, and it's not possible to bring
     everyone in dc-team (or whoever makes decisions) up to the same
     informational standard to make a decision. In this case,
     especially when time is short, decisions need to be made and
     the procedures need to allow for this. In fact, this needs to
     be perfectly clear.

  9. I am not aware of a situation like (8.) in Debian. Therefore,
     Debian != DebConf, although they belong with each other and are
     inseparable.

  0. I am repeating myself.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>