Re: [Debconf-team] German two-bid strategy

Hi,

This is becoming quite a flamewar and doesn't seem a productive use of
everyone's time. I'm not going to reply point by point, but rather
give a general overview of my opinion, both as having been part of the
committee, a DebConf organizer, and part of the German bid at this
time.

When the bid is selected in the decision meeting, the venue presented
is just a proposal.  It has happened a few times in the past that the
venue had to be changed, and it was not a problem as long as the
definitive venue met similar (or even better) characteristics as the
one originally proposed.

This means that if Mechelen is selected tonight, but then some
unexpected event happens and it's not possible to have DebConf in the
proposed venue, the Belgian team in cooperation with the global
DebConf team would need to somehow figure out where and how to host
DebConf instead.

I think it's pretty clear that at this point the Heidelberg option is
better than the Munich option.  As has been already said too many
times, we decided to keep both in order to have better negotiations
and have a fallback plan in case of unexpected events.  We do not
intend to go with a lesser option.

I believe it's in the power of the DebConf committee to say that they
choose the German bid as long as their venue is equivalent to
Heidelberg (that means, the currently proposed venue, or an equivalent
venue), and that they consider the Munich venue significantly
different at this time (i.e. a strong suggestion to drop Munich).
It's also in the power of the committee to state that they see both
options as adequate and let the final decision on the venue be done
later on, when negotiations are finalized.

As a last note, as Martin and Richard have stated, please keep in mind
that what we all want is to host the best possible DebConf.  Winning
the bid does not bring money, power or fame to the winners, it just
brings a lot of extra work. If we presented two venues is because we
really think that both of them would be viable options for having a
great DebConf, not because of a winning strategy.

--
Besos,
Marga