Re: [Debconf-team] German two-bid strategy

also sprach Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org> [2014-03-05 21:59 +0100]:
> After giving more attention to the bid's pages and reading
> emails/meetings backlogs I'm blocked by my current preference:
>
> #1 Heidelberg
> #2 Mechelen
> #3 Munich
>
> So it's very clear that the 2-options bid strategy makes things
> difficult to me.

Please don't split Heidelberg and Munich up. They are part of the
same bid. And we believe that this should make things easier for
you, instead. Here's why:

Let's assume for one moment that you chose the German team, which
proposed your top preference, Heidelberg. What could possibly happen
next?

  A) The team decides for the best of their proposals, namely
     Heidelberg;
     → everyone happy!

  B) The team develops Munich further to the point where it trumps
     Heidelberg, and then choses Munich, because it is the best
     proposal;
     → everyone happy (and DebConf gets even better)!

  C) Heidelberg's venue burns down, so the team falls back to using
     Munich;
     → everyone happy, for a lesser DebConf is better than no DebConf.

  D) All venues proposed in a bid burn down;
     → everyone unhappy, but 50 % less likely to happen to the German
       team

  E) The team chooses the lesser of the two options;
     → why would this happen?

So left are possible outcomes A–D, and compare those to the
situation where the team made just one proposal: in that case,
A, B & C would be irrelevant and there would only be D, and everyone
unhappy.

Yes, you might say that you'd then try to re-activate the second
option (by another team), but I am not sure how realistic that is.
After all, you'd be asking another team to keep the option warm until
DebConf was successfully executed. I believe it's much more likely for a team
with an alternative proposal to "keep that warm" or re-activate it,
than it is to expect another team to re-enter the whole organisation
at a later stage.

So, please don't look at our bid as two separate proposals. We are
trying to convince you that we're a team capable of organising a superb
conference, and we hope that we've done an acceptable job thus far.

On behalf of said team,

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>
: :'  :  DebConf orga team

takt ist der auf das benehmen angewandte gute geschmack.
                                              -- nicolas de chamfort