Re: [Debconf-team] German two-bid strategy

Hi

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> After last night's meeting, I spent some time thinking about the various
> bids, and I must say I have a bit of a bad feeling about the German
> two-bid stragegy.

I don't think this should be seen as two separate bids. It's just
variants of one single bid. While the venue is certainly an important
part of a bid, it's not the only thing. At least for me the team
proposing the bid seems equally important. And there are other factors
as well.

As far as I understood the german proposal that also the point of view
of their team.

[...]

> If the German team decides not to change their strategy, then I would
> like to reiterate Patty's question of last night, and ask the committee
> to please consider both options when deciding; that is, the German bids
> should only win if the committee considers that _both_ German options
> are superior to all other options.

I agree with this in principle, but would formulate it a bid different.
I don't think both venues have to be strictly prefered over every other
bid, but the whole bid including the uncertainity about the exact venue
should be as a whole be considered superior to every other bid. There
are uncertainities in all proposals and I don't think we should apply
higer standards to the germans because their uncertainity is about the
venue and city.

Sure if commitee members consider one of the two proposed venues far
worse than the other, this becomes a bit tricky. But if you don't want
to take the risk, then just put Germany further down on your list to
where it would be with the less suitable venue.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.