Re: [Debconf-team] A/V opt-out for speakers (Re: Thinking of organising a special mini-debconf

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

> a.) tell the talks+video team before the talk that you dont want to be videoed
> (or only audioed), thats totally fine. (But we really should have this in the
> conference management system.)

Open Source Days in Copenhagen made me sign a waiver on which I could
also select a license for my talk. Requiring such a waiver is a
low-tech way to ensure there's actual consensus.

Another option would be a required field in penta where you _have_ to
select if you want to be taped/audio recorded/whatever else.

Formalizing either, or a different, process for appearance and license
would make it easy to avoid any "pushing of boundaries" and do so in a
non-discriminatory manner. Doing this in penta would allow attendees
to attend non-taped talks and watch taped talks later.

> b.) I'd be happy to "accidently loose files" if the presenter(s) wish so... I
> know this is frustrating to the videoteam who recorded it, so I absolutly
> prefer notice in advance, but hey, the rights of the persons filmed are more
> important than a bit work wasted.

Personally, I don't see a reason to lose the files; simply stating
that any request such request will be honored would be enough, imo.

> On a related note: we should probably also provide an area in the audience
> which shall not be filmed, not all attendees are comfortable with that. The
> problem with this is that this can only happen on a best effort basis...

That may be hard in practice, especially considering that there's a
second camera facing the audience to take shots of people asking
questions and, sometimes, full view of attendees and their reactions.

If we start down this road, color-coded name tags to designate people
who do not wish to be photographed are another logical step.

Richard