Re: [Debconf-team] Lanyards, badge holders and badges

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 03:59:58PM -0400, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:14:51PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > a) Lanyards

> As I've said on IRC, if the sponsors team decide to do a last minute promotion
> for a given sponsor I'd accept it, but personally I think this is not the best
> option at all. Given that branded-colored lanyards draw much attention I know
> many people who won't be happy using it, mainly if it has
> Ubuntu

Or Intel. There would be Options.

> printed on it.

I'd like to, again, note that this was not a suggestion by either sponsor,
and neither sponsor is trying to get a higher sponsorship level with this.
This was an attempt by me to save the DebConf organization some money since
previous discussions of cost on various issues have caused anxiety.

This is one of the things that I don't consider worth spending another 1000
CHF on, especially considering other things we have chosen, as a team, to
not spend money on.

> So I'd leave this option as something option in the frontdesk for those who
> want to take one.

> There's an option raised by hug which would cost about CHF 700 to make it in
> time (CHF 2.46 per lanyard). They would be custom Debian lanyards with up to 4
> colors. We could even make a bit more for selling (?) I think it's very
> valuable, since people use to save them to use in many others events, promoting
> the project in some way. I've experienced that in Brazil for many years and I
> still have mine. See an example (not me in the picture):
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/beraldoleal/5898404742/lightbox/

And this would be a great option, if we didn't have other budget concerns
and arguments as is. I, personally, feel a good conference dinner and day
trip is much more valuable than a lanyard. I, also, have a Debian lanyard
from Brazil (somewhere in my house) that I've kept, but those were planned
for and budgeted into DC4, which is not the case here.

I think having them available for sale at the conference is worthy, and
people could certainly buy one for 5 CHF (or whatever) if they'd prefer to
have that over one of the "free" (yes, free. Logo or not, they cost the
attendees nothing.) lanyards. But, I don't think we should expect everyone
to purchase one either. I think this is an acceptable thing to have *in
addition to the complimentarily provided lanyards*, but not something to
expect attendees to purchase to be able to display their badges, nor the
only option available.

Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski