[Debconf-team] potential wider audience on weekends, Debian Day

Hi,

There have been a couple of mails about and I've also heard discussions
from people outside Debian who think it would be cool to drop by and see
a bit of DebConf

The convenient, central location, 20 birthday and the significant
interest in FOSS around western Europe may well contribute to the
"perfect storm" of unwanted attention or free publicity depending upon
how you look at it.

What is the general feeling about it?

Are there any severe limitations, e.g. does the contract prohibit us
having an extra 100 people on site during the day time?

I realize accommodation and catering can't cope with sudden surges, but
can the bar operate in a scalable manner (presumably raising some extra
money for the budget too)?

Could we possibly look at inviting a food van to come and operate nearby
at no cost/effort to DebConf itself?

Maybe we could steer people towards a particular day for this -
Saturday, 17 August, as it is the last day, it won't impact productivity
throughout the week so it might be suitable.

I'm not sure if there is a final decision about a Debian Day - I don't
know if this would qualify as one or not and it doesn't really have to
be.  However, that might be a convenient way to signal to people that it
is the better time for them to attend if just coming for one day.

Regards,

Daniel