Re: [Debconf-team] Reusable cups for DebConf13

Hi

> On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 01:28:07PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> I'm relaying this for the people woring on organizing the bar at
>> DebConf13. They propose to use reusable cups for selling beverages. The
>> cups would not be personal, if you buy a drink, you give back your old
>> cup and receive a washed one. Cups will be washed by the bar team in a
>> "hotel kitchen" dishwasher. Therefore the bar team estimates that a bit
>> more than 2 cups per attendee are needed. The cups will have a DebConf
>> logo on them and are a good souvenir to take home from DebConf. It's
>> also more ecological to use reusable cups than one way cups and they
>> don't break as easily as glasses. I don't know the regulations at Le
>> Camp, but in some Swiss cities we might even be required to use reusable
>> dishes.
>
> Most things become a lot less ecological when you start putting them in your
> hand luggage and taking them home in planes.

I really doubt that the few grams of plastic make a big difference.
Unless you just fly to DebConf because of the cup. ;-)

>> We investigated prices of two different providers [1]. Costs are very
>> similar.
>>
>> Costs: 480€ - 550€, depending on colors, producer and exact quantity
>> Quanity: 700-800
>> Cup size: 30-40cl
>
> And do we have an estimate of how much it would cost to use disposable cups
> for the week?

Not yet.

A rough estimate:
2 cups per person per day * 300 attendees * 7 days * CHF 0.10 per cup =
420 CHF =~ 336€

So if my estimate is correct it would be a bit cheaper, but not that
much. But if we also need cups for DebCamp, the difference is even
smaller or nonexistent.

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org> writes:

> Hi Gaudenz, hi all,
>
> Le vendredi, 7 juin 2013 13.28:07, Gaudenz Steinlin a écrit :

>> - We charge CHF 2 more for each beverage in a cup wich is bought without
>>   also giving back one of the cups. If the attendees take their cups
>>   home in the end, the costs are mostly covered. This is how this is
>>   most often done at public events in Switzerland.
>
> I think that's the best option, because it gives the cup a value. By making
> sure the cups cost /something/ to the attendees, we ensure people will care
> about them and not just "forget them" somewhere and get another one for free
> at the bar (which would lead to need way more cups).

I'd prefer the first cup for everyone to be free.

> One way to not put the whole cost on attendees would be to hand out the first
> cup per attendee at the registration desk but then, if you want another one
> (because you lost or broke yours, because you want a souvenir, etc), you get
> to buy one at the bar.

I agree that only the first cup should be free and that replacements
should be paid for.

> As for washing, I'm not sure it's necessary to machine-wash them; if we just
> water-rinse (fast hand-wash with only water) them, we can hand each attendee
> his own cup back. But it kinda-depends on the durability of the cups (in
> particular the marking).

IMHO we should leave this to the bar team to decide. They should chosse
the way that works best for them.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.