Re: [Debconf-team] RTC track

On 28/05/13 23:18, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Steve Langasek dijo [Mon, May 27, 2013 at 04:38:53PM -0700]:
>> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:57:18PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>> I'm just following up on this, I've started to make some contacts about
>>> the Free RTC track and there is some positive progress.
>>> To make this a track, are there any more formal steps to be taken other
>>> than getting abstracts/responses to the call for papers?
>> Please use a clearer name for this track.  I know that you're not talking
>> about a track dedicated to real-time clocks, but I only know that due to the
>> context of reading your blog.
> I agree with Steve here, as I told you by private mail. RTC might be
> clear enough for you, and I understand you want to push the use of
> this allegedly more correct term, but for people to understand it, I
> don't think it's the right naming.

I'm quite happy to be flexible about this, can anyone suggest alternatives?

One option is to just un-abbreviate it, and use a name like "Multi-media
real-time communications (RTC) track" - if that is not too long then I'm
happy to use that

Whenever I have used the term VoIP, which is quite distinctive, I've
found that it disenfranchises those who are working on things like
social networking, micro blogging and other non-voice applications while
still using SIP or XMPP as the underlying protocol.  As it is a track
and not just me giving a talk, I'm simply trying to be inclusive.
Ideally at least one person from that background would join the track -
there are several DDs active in those areas.