Re: [Debconf-team] Rethinking the way travel sponsorship works

Quoting Gunnar Wolf (gwolf@gwolf.org):
> Hi,
>
> After today's meeting, we idled a bit in the IRC channel exchanging
> some ideas. Tiago talked on what he perceived to be the main
> problematic that other DebConf attendees complained about, and he got
> some people to answer, me among them.

After Gunnar's prod to the "Herb team", let me post my stance abou
tthis topic. I refrained to do so until now because it is a bit
"extreme" and I fear it could bring some heat or sound as a little bit
presomptuous (en?).

Anyway, we're asked to give opinions, then let's do it.

In short, I think the herb team, as it worked last 2 years, does a
good job (easy to say, I'm part of it..:-)) and there's indeed few
room for improvement.

The ideas of "random rating" are interesting with the goal of more
diversification in the rating but I very much doubt it will really
work and, moreover, I really fail to see that we really have the
material time to organise it (and we I say "we", I don't really think
"I").

The Herb Team *is* diverse and I think that the work we did last year
was very efficient and fair. I particularly thank David Bremner for
sustaining that work during the IRC meeting(s?) we had.

So, well, I'd be in favor of just doing the same thing again. That
will probably not be entirely perfect.....but that will certainly be
as fair as we all can be.

And, really, this work has to be done *now* and I very very very much
doubt we are really able to invent a new, efficient, system, in such a
short amount of time.

So, my stance is easy to summarize : let's do Herb again, I do
volunteer to participate in it (I have the vague feeling to have a
good knowledge of Debconfers.....and I'm not solliciting any travel
sponsoring for myself). And let's do it as quickly a possible (on my
wide, one drawback : I'll be VAC from May 24th to June 2nd).