Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-announce] DC13 Final Report

also sprach Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2013.10.18.1656 +0200]:
> I don't know exactly how this would fit into the DC13 Final Report,
> but it might be good to say something about dgit.  Here's what I
> just came up with:

I'd say dgit is a splendid example of just what DebConf can enable.
As a lead to Ian's article, you could use the following:

One of the most core purposes of DebConf is to bring together
developers face-to-face. It is not seldom that such meetings very
quickly turn productive. In the following case, it started out as
a lunch discussion over a piece of cardboard [there is a photo
somewhere] and two days later, Ian gave a talk on his project
"dgit", a promising contender to solve the problem of "decentralised
collaboration" in Debian. This field is of high importance to the
community, because it enables very flexible workflows. Here's what
Ian has to say himself: …

> dgit is a new tool which allows any package to be downloaded, edited,
> and NMUed by someone who likes to use git.  dgit's user does not need

I'd say "uploaded" instead of NMUed.
And "the Git versioning system" instead of "git"

> to know about or understand the maintainer's source code management
> practices.  They simply edit the actual source package contents in
> git, and when they're done dgit will let them push (upload) the result

You don't really "edit in git". I'd say "manage changes with Git"
(capitalised…)

Comma after "done"

> to the archive.
>
> Although dgit is all my own code, its design came out of a number of
> very intense discussions held at Debconf 13.  I particularly want
> mention Joey Hess, who deserves at least half the credit for the
> conversation where we each came to the table with a different gigantic
> cloud castle which would never be implemented or deployed, and came
> away with the present design - small, immediately implementable and
> immediately deployable.

I thought German had a monopoly on run-on sentences ;)

> The first useable version of dgit was uploaded before the end of DC13.
>
> There is still much work to be done: in particular dgit does not yet
> work properly for Debian Maintainers or have a useable read-only mode.
> And its support for use by the package maintainer is not always good,
> depending on the maintainer's workflow.  So it is presently mostly a
> tool for DD NMUers.

I'd suggest to remove some of the tech-speek and shorten the
description. Maybe just the middle paragraph about the collaboration
with Joey suffices?

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>
: :'  :  DebConf orga team

"the only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of
 the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that
 I have always cultivated."
                                                        -- oscar wilde