Re: [Debconf-team] DC14: parallel activities for families with kids

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 09:39:27PM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:

> >also sprach Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> [2013.08.22.1540 +0200]:
> >>We need DebConf local team to help out to find accomodation places
> >>for families, families should probably have to find out the costs
> >>themselves and do any required booking before-hand. The same
> >>applies for food and travelling.

As Giacomo has already commented, "DebConf is not [should not be] a travel
agency".  I do not have a problem if people from the local team want to help
out and provide such information, but we should be very clear that with the
exception of the sponsored accomodation, the conference is not responsible
for finding rooms for attendees.

That said, there are plenty of hotels in downtown Portland and we will
probably look at getting a group rate for one of them, so this shouldn't
actually be hard in practice.

> >I agree that families should be expected to cater for themselves.
> >I think that we should focus *only* on providing a way for parents
> >to leave their children under supervision to be able to participate.

> This would be simple, but it doesn't seem the most request of
> families (OTOH CH was special, with no real alternatives for
> families near the venue).

In fact, there were several people at DC12 expressing interest in this who
ended up not bringing their families to DC13 because of the lack of
alternatives.  So I don't think we can extrapolate from DC13 and draw any
conclusions about what families will want for DC14.