Re: [Debconf-team] Framework for taking measures in case of severely unsuitable behaviour during DebConf

Hi Lucas

Lucas Nussbaum <leader@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> [ It sounds a bit strange to raise this after a DebConf that happened in
>   such a friendly and welcoming  atmosphere, but still ... ]
>
> This came up during a discussion with Patty Langasek, who is one of the
> members of the antiharassment@debian.org alias:
> Do we have a process for taking measures during DebConf in case of
> severely unsuitable behaviour?
>
> It might be useful to add something about that in
> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Welcome
> for future editions of DebConf.
>
> LCA has:
> http://conf.linux.org.au/register/terms_and_conditions
> and
> http://linux.conf.au/cor/code_of_conduct
> which includes:
> Linux Australia may take any or all of the following measures: The
> alleged offender may be asked to stop or modify their behaviour The
> alleged offender may be warned that enforcement action will be taken if
> the behaviour continues If the behaviour continues, the alleged offender
> may be asked to immediately leave the venue and/or will be prohibited
> from continuing to attend the event (without reimbursement) The incident
> may be reported to the authorities

We do have https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/StandardsOfRespect already.
The first paragraph of the short version was on a slide during the
Opening Ceremony. The full text of the short version is also included on
the registration page[1]. While assembling the welcome talk we also made
sure that antiharassment@debian.org actually goes to a useful
destination. So it's not like DebConf does not have any measures against
unsuitable behaviour. But it's true that we have no clear process for
measures in case someone does not respect our Standards of Respect. I'm
not sure if we need a formalized process though.

While as far as I know the Standards of Respect were written for DC10
and are the result of mailinglist discussions on the debconf-team list,
they don't look very formalized. Makeing them more formal might be a
good thing. I personally quite like the current text of the "short
version".

Gaudenz

[1] http://debconf13.debconf.org/register.xhtml#antiharassment