Re: [Debconf-team] offer to donate/rent Debian-based network appliance for DebConf

Hi Hideki, hi Plat'Home,

many thanks for sponsoring dc13 and for your OpenBlocks offer!

On Donnerstag, 1. August 2013, Hideki Yamane wrote:
>  One of our Debconf13 sponsor, Plat'Home (http://www.plathome.co.jp/)(*)
>  asks me that they want to contribute to DebConf not only sponsor fee
>  but also donate/rent their reliable network appliance "OpenBlocks",
>  Debian-based armhf machine (for detail, see
> http://openblocks.plathome.com/). I think it'd be nice if it would be used
> for DebConf's network system, so please tell us who is the contact person
> for this issue.

Axel Beckert is responsible for the network setup this year.

I'm not sure how we can use this network appliance for debconf needs: for the
main gateway/dns/dhcp/proxy server, we probably want something more powerful
and for other usecases we need a case which can fit some 3.5" harddisc. As I
see it (and I might very well be wrong) this is not the case with the
OpenBlock hw, so I dont really see how we could use it for DebConf.

That said, I'm sure there will be developers at Debconf13 who'd be excited to
try out the hardware and bring it to use cases I cannot forsee now.

Or maybe we could do a raffle (who fixes the most RC bugs or such) and hand it
out as a price at Debians 20th birthday party?!

cheers,
	Holger