Re: [Debconf-team] RFC: Opening Registration on Friday ?

On 01/05/13 00:08, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> [...]
>> last week's face-to-face meeting, I'm in favour of the short version because I
>> think the long one is less likely to be read in entirety, while we want people
>> to read to the registration documentation anyway. Also the long version
>> apparently has some subtle differences with the actual state of the
>> documentation. But I don't care enough to fight for that view.
>>
>> I also intend to send a blogpost with exactly the same content (just HTML-
>> formatted) of the announcement mail; this will give more exposure to the
>> announcement.
> I'm also slightly in favor of the shorter version. But especially if
> people with previous experience with this suggest to send the longer
> version I'm fine with that too.
>
> If we use the longer version I would prefer to use the text on
> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Registration instead. Otherwise
> we should check for differences before sending out the announcment.
>
>> = Penta
>>
>> As far as I've understood from the (few) discussions on-list and the (lots of)
>> discussion on IRC, most of the debatable points [1] of the Penta
>> implementation are solved (but I might be mistaken). Please go on the penta
>> page [2] to make sure it is Okay. Please send the (hopefully minor) remaining
>> change requests to the list and list them on the changes wiki page.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Orga/Registration
>> [2] https://penta.debconf.org/penta/submission/dc13/person
>>
>> = Registration documentation
>>
>> Along with the majority of the crowd present in last week's face-to-face
>> meeting, I also think it would be "better" to have the registration
>> documentation pushed to the website (as /frozen/ HTML instead of as /world-
>> editable/ wiki) but as this can be quite time-consuming, I don't intend to
>> block registration on this. I intend to give it a try though.
>>
>> Please comment on the actual state of the Registration documentation [3] by
>> answering on-list; that's what I would put as register.xhtml on the
>> website.
> I think the documentation is fine now. I just moved the first two
> paragraphs (about how to register in penta) to the end and removed some
> redundancy. There were two paragraphs labeled "Registration". I renamed
> the one about penta to "How to register". The rational for this is to
> encourage people to first read or at least skim over the wiki page
> before jumping straight to penta. But if other think this is a bad idea,
> please just revert my edit.
>
>> A secondary document of interest is the "Travel arrangements" documentation
>> [4] which would also be better hosted on the website in a shorter and "team-
>> blessed" fashion.
> I also went over this page and made some corrections and additions. I
> hope it's now easier to understand and see the relevant parts. But it
> would certainly benefit from review by a native english speaker.

I will have another look over everything later in the week to check for
correct English

I've also added some notes about customs on the travel page, it probably
needs to be duplicated on both the travel and the visa pages, EU people
wouldn't look at the existing visa page.  This probably needs to be
emphasized with one line in the official announcement, people visiting
from other EU countries are regularly surprised by the fact that
Switzerland still has customs controls.

There should also be notes about other miscellaneous things: currency
exchange, travel/health insurance, etc.  People coming from countries
with accessible health care are often taken by surprise if they visit a
walk-in clinic in a city center and get charged 200% more than at a
regular doctor.  These things don't need to pollute the main
announcement, but it is useful to have them all documented conveniently
somewhere, maybe a page about "Switzerland travel advice" with the
cheapest options available for currency exchange, doctor, grocery
shopping and other things that are not directly related to travel or
registration.