Re: [Debconf-team] RFC: opening registration: questions for penta

Le vendredi, 12 avril 2013 21.54:20, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> Sorry, I know this is quite late as this was supposed to be all wrapped up
> today, but here is the draft proposal for the DC13 registration form:
>
>   https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Orga/Registration

There are some things things I'm not fully convinced of yet:

* Food: :food_id
> - Am staying off-site and will provide own food
> - I request sponsored food (not available to pro/corp if possible)
> - I wish to pay for food at the conference (25 CHF/day)

I feel the current wording doesn't make it clear enough that the standard for
people staying off-site should be to get (be it by paying or getting it
sponsored) their food (lunch+dinner) at the conference venue: making the
"offsite->ownfood" relation explicit hides the "offsite->venuefood" relation
that should IMHO be standard. It also applies to some extent to
"onsite->ownfood", which should stay the exception given the distance/time to
shops.

What about (reordering is intentional):

- I request sponsored food (not available to pro/corp if possible)
- I wish to pay for food at the conference (25 CHF/day)
- Will care for my own food. I understand that there are no shops nearby.

* Food preference: I feel that the word doesn't express strongly enough what
we want to know, so I'd rather word it "Food restrictions". In my en_CH
understanding, if someone says she has a _preference_ for vegan food, then we,
as conference, can still give her meat without a problem, which is not the
case with a "food restriction" (which also extends to allergies, etc). By
making it a select-box for food restrictions, the first and standard option
would be "none" then.

* I am not really sure that the questions set makes it clear enough what room
category would the "sponsored accomodation" attendees get, but don't have a
good proposal on how to solve it. Also, it's not really clear that "nights"
include breakfast at the venue.

* Transatlantic T-shirt sizes experience tells me that "T-shirt size" should
probably be explicitated, but I really don't know how (gut feeling is that a
US "L" is a European "XL").

* That's probably a separate discussion, but as some discussion have
highlighted on IRC, 20 CHF/night for "no-bed" can be considered quite
expensive [0]. I would be open to making a 2-4 CHF conference sponsoring on
that option (as a new "extended budget" consideration), acknowledging that in
many conditions, we would pay more to the venue for that possibility than we
get from the attendee.

> Gaudenz, Cate and I have been over it with a fine-toothed comb on IRC, but
> if you see anything that looks off, let's please discuss.

Indeed, congratulations for this quite productive meeting!

Cheers,
OdyX

[0] The nearest camping, if you go alone with a small tent, charges 14.30
CHF/night, without breakfast. http://camping-lespins.ch/tarife_f.html