Re: [Debconf-team] Online rooms booking systems

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> On Montag, 28. Januar 2013, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> * People should be able to select their room mates.
>
> IMO this is wrong/impractial: it would be nice to have if people are able to
> select their room mates. And we try to. But its not a should or must.

While reading your reply I noticed that I wanted to expand this a bit
more in my initial mail but then did not because it was already late.

What I meant was the following:

If room allocation is done manually:
People should be able to give the "room allocation team" additional
hints besides the category they selected. One possible hint is to give
them the names of the persons they would like to share a room with. In
this system there would be no guarantee for following the hints (but we
try hard).

If room allocation is done through a booking system:
People should be able to see who else booked wich bed. As cate pointed
out this has privacy implications. I see several ways to solve this:
- An option to make data private (ie not show the name) (or the other
  way around if other also think this is a severe issue)
- Allow people to use nicknames so that they can only tell their nick to
  those that should know where they booked.
- Group booking. I don't think the booking system has to be tied into
  the registration system at all. Or at least every participant should
  also register himself even if his bed is booked by someone else. Like
  this we still have all the info we need (dietary restrictions, ...).

So the intention was not a strong being able to select room mates in any
case but more a being able to indicate their room mate preferences.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.