Re: [Debconf-team] Suggestion for Professional / Corporate attendance Fee

On 2013-01-25 18:44, Philip Hands wrote:
Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> writes:
The advantage of selling them this way is splitting room allocation out
from room pricing.  You would pay for the "guarantee" of a certain
maximum room size (though in practice if you didn't get that size we
just wouldn't charge you for it, it's not a real guarantee).

Am I right in thinking that you're expecting people to be happy to
discover at the front desk that they didn't get the room they thought
they'd paid for, and that the inevitable expolsion will be diffused by
pointing out to them that they didn't get charged after all?

No, I was pointing out a sad reality -- I didn't initially include the bracketed part, then realised someone would probably challenge me on it, as while from an attendee's point of view I would like it to be a "guarantee", it seems foolish to include a penalty clause so that Debian would offer compensation beyond not charging/a refund in the event that we mess things up.

I'm not suggesting any kind of intentional over-booking of the less bad rooms, and if possible we should attempt to tell everyone at the time of booking the worst kind of room that they might be in. Even doing that will require either a clever system (without bugs) or having a room allocation person start work immediately rather than waiting for everyone to be registered.

--
Moray