Re: [Debconf-team] Le Camp Accomodation - Bed selling and professional fee

On 18/01/13 10:48, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> thanks Gaudenz for this proposal!
>
> Le mardi, 15 janvier 2013 23.01:12, Gaudenz Steinlin a écrit :
>
>> * Do we want to sell the better beds at all?
>> While some of us would like to keep money completely out of DebConf
>> provided accomodation nobody has come up with an alternative proposal
>> yet. I think there is more or less consensus that it's unfortunate that
>> we have to do this, but the best way to actually allocate the more
>> comfortable beds is to sell them.
>>
> I have argued in favour of this idea in this thread already, but to summarize
> it differently, I think we have to do a "first come first served" booking
> system in any case. Then remains the question of selling and I think that is
> is a good way to "make some money" out of these different categories. As I
> explained already, all beds (besides maybe the big dormitories) provide
> "suitable accomodation" so the additional comfort doesn't really have a reason
> to come for free.

First come first served may work, like any of the other proposals, but
can you tell us why this is the best one?

I think that before any strategy is committed, maybe we need to define
the objective:

- are we simply trying to sell beds on a cost neutral basis, so we don't
make money, but we don't take any risks either, and we don't care if
beds are all used or not?

- are we trying to maximise revenue from the beds that people pay for,
even if we set the prices high enough that some beds are empty (a
typical marketing tactic) such that we have cash to pay other expenses
or sponsor people?

- or are we trying to fill as many beds as possible, with the view that
this means a larger DebConf with more participation?

Each of these objectives would imply a different pricing strategy - I'm
not currently endorsing any of them, but I think that it is important to
have such an objective.