Re: [Debconf-team] what do we think we can do better for dc13? example: random venue

On 5 December 2012 18:39, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, LeCamp in *not* being decided upon. It *was* decided upon
> in the decision meeting vote for the venue of Debconf 13 long time ago. And
> it stays that way until Debconf chairs explicitly decide the LeCamp is not
> suitable for Debconf 13. As far as I know, that has not happened.

The venue voted in the decision meeting does not necessarily need to
be the venue used for the DebConf itself.  It's considered "Plan A",
and it shows what the local team was able to investigate and the
standards that the location should be able to provide.  However, if
there are problems with the venue, or if there was later a better
proposal, it's not unthinkable to change venues later on.  This has
happened a number of times before and I expect it to happen in the
future as well.

Agreed. Speaking in general, what I would like to point out is as follows:

The typical way of such change of plans would be if the local team finds a better venue, proposes that to the chairs and they agree. Any proposals outside of that process can be easily seen (with or without basis) as trying to force the local team to do something else than what they proposed and agreed to do. Which can easily lead to loss of motivation and thus people. If at all possible such confrontation should be avoided.

If fact, if someone outside the local team does find a better venue, the best course of action would generally be to privately contact the local team and offer them the details hoping to insipre them with the idea. And if local team for some reason does not enthusiastically prefer the new venue to the old after this, it is unlikely to be in the best interest of Debconf and Debian to continue pressing that point or to try to get the board or DPL or GR to overrule the local team.

 --
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org