Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] "Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13

Holger Levsen writes ("Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13"):
> On Montag, 3. Dezember 2012, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I'm sorry to keep making trouble, but strings-attached offers of
> > substantial amounts of money from anonymous donors are a serious
> > matter.  Even if the decision for Debconf13 is already finalised,
> > we need to have transparency.
>
> and you seriously think, the only way to achieve transparency are
> some ad-hoc mails to -project? [...]

Thanks for the answers you have given.

When a serious issue arises I think it's right to discuss it in a
public and open place.  -project is I think the right place.

> > It has been alleged that the conditions attached were that we hold
> > DC13 at Le Camp.  Again, would you please confirm or deny.
>
> yes they were attached to Le Camp. I dont see this particularily
> good or bad, as every year we have sponsors who donate because its
> in "their" country and we also do activly seek for local sponsors
> for a venue - before and after a venue has decided.

I don't think anonymous donations with strings attached are
acceptable.  If our decisionmaking is being influenced by
strings-attached donations, the very minimum is that we should know
who is pulling the strings.

> > I think the whole project is entitled to full and frank answers to all
> > of my questions.
>
> I disagree (at least about anyone having the right to come along at
> any time and asking whatever silly question based on some
> stories.

The right thing to do with rumours is to quash them, not to complain
about people who ask questions.

Ian.