Re: [Debconf-team] How many Swiss sponsors are expected?

On 2012-10-25 09:01, Daniel Pocock wrote:
Even for small companies, 500 CHF is not so much, and they may simply
give this money because they get more than that value out of Debian (who
doesn't?)

So you would think. But we got a rather low rate of positive responses from small companies last year, when we contacted many that hadn't been tried before. Current economic conditions don't really encourage generosity -- even companies that are doing well and have spare money will be worried that things may get worse -- and while they get value from Debian, they can obviously still get that without donating.

It is of course worth contacting as many as possible, quite apart from how the budget looks at present. And evidence from other fund-raising suggest that some more sustained/personal contact would probably get a better success rate than last year. (Phone calls rather than mass emails? It's unfortunate but true that the more annoying types of fundraising normally generate much better overall returns.)

- but even if we find 100 of them, it is only 50,000 CHF.

That's also true: even on an optimistic view, it seems improbable that this alone could fill the budget gap.

--
Moray