Re: [Debconf-team] reading thru the meeting logs...

Daniel Pocock dijo [Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 06:20:14PM +0200]:
> > 1. budget is now (?) assuming 220K, with 100k coming from sponsors and 100k
> > coming from attendees and 20k missing.
> > (...)
>
> This is what I've been trying to emphasize all along - even with other
> venues, there is no such thing as a `cheap' event in Switzerland.

Right. And one of the early points while the bid was being presented
was that enough money could most probably be collected from local,
Swiss sponsors if we started early on. We didn't. But we still have
some time.

> Interlaken just gives us the flexibility to pass on costs for eating,
> and to reduce costs during the DebCamp week.

Right, this is the most interesting point about the Interlaken
proposal.

> > I assume if we have signed such a contract, someone _will_ need to have to pay
> > the bill. And thats why I'm still reluctant to (tell people to) sign...
>
> Not quite - if a verein is like a limited company, then the members
> could potentially liquidate the verein at arm's length.  Nobody will
> lose their personal assets,  Le Camp will be extremely unhappy.  The
> biggest worry should actually be the 20, 40 or 60k of sponsor money
> already paid to Le Camp: if there is no DebConf, and the money is lost,
> will those sponsors ever support DC14, etc?

Right. And this would not only be limited to the sponsors that put
money in which evaporated and their relation with DebConf, but with
the whole Debian project... And having repercusion in the perception
of other free software projects is not too far-fetched. So, we must be
very careful. It is not "only" losing CHF60K.