Re: [Debconf-team] not a registration fee, but...

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:45:37AM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Those are only private travel costs that people are claiming, it is good
> that people can obtain funds for that, but it doesn't help the DebConf
> budget itself.

At least it does not drain extra traveling costs from DebConf budget.

> > I also do not agree to the principle Daniel suggested to spread the
> > gathering of sponsors to <number of participants> shoulders.  Our
> > primary goal is to develop Debian (currently fixing RC bugs) and not to
> > keep people busy to ask around for money.  IMHO the main organisers of
> > DebConf always did a good and way more effective job in gathering
> > sponsors than single persons could do - and I use this chance to thank
> > all those people involved into this hereby.
>
> Andreas, you are completely correct to focus on this point.  But keep in
> mind the fact that DebConf13 in Switzerland will not be cheap, and
> distributing the fundraising workload is just one of many alternatives.
> So while you are not a fan of this concept, would you say this proposal
> is the `lesser evil' compared to the discussion about not providing
> meals at DebConf, or the option to leave out DebCamp week?

I admit I'm not prepared to decide between those two evils.  We had bids
of several countries for DebConf13 and I simply trusted the promise that
DebConf (in the kind we all know it) in Switzerland is payable -
otherwise the decision making team would have decided differently.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de