Re: [Debconf-team] [RFR] Please check the DebConf13 sponsoring brochure English version

Hi there!

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 13:53:29 +0200, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Luca Capello wrote:
>> Would it be possible to proofread the attached file aimed at potential
>> DebConf13 sponsors (in Switzerland and elsewhere)?  The attached
>> DC13-brochure_r3739.en.pdf gives you an idea on how the brochure would
>> look like and the attached DC13-brochure_r3739.en.tex is the actual file
>> to be translated.
>
> Okay... patch attached.

Thank you very much, especially for having provided the reasoning behind
your corrections, applied except for two notes below:

  <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data?view=revisionれvision=3741>

>> \section{DebConf and Debian}
>>
>> \subsection{The Bigger Picture}
>>
>> The benefits that DebConf brings to the Debian Project as a whole, and
>> the larger Free Software community, are best summarized by the
>> following comment by Newsforge's Robin 'Roblimo' Miller:
>
> The PDF has ’Roblimo’ (with apostrophes) - say ``Roblimo''?

I agreed with you, even if DC10 brochure had it as 'Roblimo', line 481:

  <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data/dc10/sponsors/page-debian-and-debconf.svg?view=markup>

>> \DCquote{
>>   This is the kind of peer-to-peer networking that makes open
>>   source conferences like DebConf6 worthwhile. It wasn't a teacher /
>>   student relationship. It was two hackers sharing knowledge with each
>>   other. (...) \textbf{The knowledge they shared will, no doubt,
>>     improve Debian --- and by extension will help improve GNU/Linux
>>     for everyone}, whether they use Debian (or a Debian derivative),
>>   SuSE, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandriva, or any other distribution.
>> }{~}
>
> I'd consider correcting "teacher / student" to "teacher/student" and
> "(...)" to "[...]", but that feels really pedantic.

For the latter: I learnt that the correct way to show that text was
removed when quoting is "[...]", but I keep seeing more and more the
"(...)" form.  Anyway, corrected :-)

For the former...

> Besides, I
> wouldn't be surprised if TeX knows the correct amount of whitespace to
> put around a slash better than I do.

...the DC10 brochure linked above contained the spaces, line 404.  But I
guess that this was because AFAIK SVG does not have any idea about the
correct spacing.  And since IIRC TeX puts the correct amount of
whitespace even if there are no surrounding space characters, I removed
them.  Final note: (PDF)TeX does not put any space.

>> %
>> <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/publicity/announcements/en/drafts/biggest-debconf-achievement.txt?view=markup&pathrev=3229>
>> \DCquote{
>>   My first DebConf I got to really know what the Release Team was
>>   about. Not long after I joined the Release Team.  Later DebConfs we
>>   recruited other team members.
>> }{Luk Claes, \DDm}
>
> Are we allowed to correct material inside direct quotes?

For sure, also considering that in some cases errors could have arisen
while manipulating the quote, so I could be responsible for some of them
as well :-)

> I'd put a
> comma between "Not long after" and "I joined the Release Team", though
> it's a bit of a borderline stylistic issue so I'll leave it for now.

Applied.

>> %
>> <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/publicity/announcements/en/drafts/biggest-debconf-achievement.txt?view=markup&pathrev=3229>
>> \DCquote{
>>   During DebConf 5 we discussed the idea of a packaging team for
>>   Perl libraries; together with the GNOME team this effort was
>>   pioneering the idea of collaborative package maintenance that showed
>>   to be very effective.
>> }{Joachim Breitner, \DDm}
>
> For branding consistency that should be "DebConf5".

Thank you, Eric had already fixed some similar occurrences:

  <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data/dc13/sponsorship-brochure/brochure.en.tex?r1=3654&r2=3659>

>> The Debian Project does not engage in commercial activities and
>> depends solely on donations from users and well-wishers. A modest
>> amount of sponsorship would not only help Debian, but would gain a
>> huge dividend of goodwill in the Free Software community at large.
>> % edrz: this wording still feels awkward ... maybe something like
>> % "but also pay back dividends in goodwill with the larger Free
>> % Software community for years to come."
>
> Last time I saw the word "dividend" in one of these it was "reap"
> rather than "gain", but let's not have the mixed metaphor back.
> "Repay" or "pay back" definitely works, but "earn" might require less
> editing.  (Mind you, it also means we aren't promising anything!)

Your last sentence is the truth, so your version accepted :-)

>>  Contribution in CHF &
>>   <2'000 & 2'000 & 6'000 & 12'000 & 25'000
>
> Apostrophes as thousand-separators?  Not even with CHF!  (Is there a
> TeX trick to make them localise automatically?)

According to IBM (from Wikipedia) that is how it should be done (and
indeed UBS does that):

  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Hindu.E2.80.93Arabic_numeral_system>
  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Examples_of_use>

  <http://www.xencraft.com/resources/multi-currency.html#fraction>

  Fractional Separators

  [...] Note that the Swiss use a different fractional separator for
  number and currency amounts.¹

  Fractional Separator (Decimal Point) Examples

  |---------------+---------------+-----------------------------------|
  | Currency      | Example       | Notes                             |
  |---------------+---------------+-----------------------------------|
  | Swiss Numbers |     12'345,67 | Fractional separator is comma     |
  | Swiss Francs  | SFr 12'345.67 | Fractional separator is full-stop |
  |---------------+---------------+-----------------------------------|

  ¹ This is according to the book by IBM, NLS Information & Design
  Guide Vol 2, Reference Manual, SE09-8002, page 49:
  "Switzerland uses a comma as the decimal separator, except when the
  amount is in Swiss Francs, in which case the period is used. Either
  an apostrophe or space is acceptable as the thousands separator."

However, according to SAS, the separator depends on the region:

  <http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/nlsref/63072/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0eq0k53tsx9cwn1hnz4s942vxzm.htm>

  Localized National Currency Representations

  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|
  | LOCALE=            | Currency     | National Representation |
  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|
  | French_Switzerland | Swiss francs | SFr. 12'345.00          |
  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|

  [...]

  International Currency Representations by Locale (ISO standard 4217)

  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|
  | LOCALE=            | Currency     | National Representation |
  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|
  | German_Switzerland | Swiss francs | CHF 12,345.00           |
  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|

  [...]

  Unique Currency Representations by ISO Currency Code

  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|
  | ISO Currency Code  | Currency     | National Representation |
  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|
  | CHF                | Swiss francs | SFr.12,345.00           |
  |--------------------+--------------+-------------------------|

But then Swiss German online shops (e.g. Brack.ch or Dell) uses the
apostrophe as well, so I left it there for the moment.

>> We also invite sponsors, in addition to their basic sponsorship, to
>> sponsor a specific part of the conference.  These are some of the
>> opportunities available, please contact the sponsorship team to
>> discuss prices and other details:
>
> Comma splice; upgrade it to semicolon.

Mmm, I am not sure I completely understand this (sorry, you explained
it, so I took the freedom to disagree).  The sentence could be
reformulated as:

  Please contact the sponsorship team to discuss prices and other
  details about the following opportunities, which are only examples:

If I write the original sentence in Italian (my mother language) and in
French (my nowadays second language), the comma seems the natural
punctuation: indeed, the two sentences go together.  OTOH if I use a
semicolon the meaning changes and the opportunities are not directly
linked anymore with the list provided after the colon.

>> \subsection{The Value of Sponsorship}
>>
>> Many of DebConf's high profile attendees are well known around the
>> world and their opinions and views are followed by many individuals
>> and businesses. Debian is a democracy of its developers where smaller
>> voices can be easily heard. Participating through sponsorship is one
>> of the many ways to help the project achieve its full potential. The
>> knowledge that Debian, its community and what it represents, is of a
>> certain value to companies and individuals is the best show of
>> appreciation to the volunteer efforts of many Debian members.
>
> Is that three separate things ("1: Debian, 2: its community, and 3:
> what it represents") or one thing with two aspects in apposition
> ("Debian - 1: its community and 2: what it represents - ")?  If we're
> using the Oxford/Harvard convention here (which we have been) then the
> former interpretation would need an extra serial comma.  Fortunately
> the latter interpretation is also good.

The former, so I added an extra serial comma.  Funny enough, what I was
thought back at school in Italy a long time ago differs from both your
interpretation: never use a comma before a 'and' :-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca